Monday, September 26, 2011

Have you ever wondered how long does it take for things to decompose?

Have you ever wondered the same? I was talking to my husband the other day and telling him about my decision to cloth diaper. He was skeptical. So I wanted to let him know how long it takes for diapers to decompose. I looked it up-it takes a whole 550 yrs!! OMG! That's a LONG time! Think of how many diapers there are!! Even worse-disposable diapers, since creation, have yet to decompose! That's insane to think about!! But here's an example of just a few things and how long it takes to decompose-it's pretty interesting:


Banana Peel: 3-4 wks 


Paper Bag: 1 mon


Cardboard: 2 mons


Wool sock: 1 yr


Tinned steel can: 50 yrs


Aluminum can: 200-500 yrs BUT if you recycle them, it can be re-used within 6 weeks!!


Disposable diapers: 550 yrs


Plastic bags: 20-1000 yrs


Plastic jug: 1 mill. yrs


Glass: 1-2 mill. yrs


Styrofoam: 1+ mill. yrs 




So now seeing this, I am going to do my best to be as green as possible. I try to recycle and re-use or what have you, but I am going to start cloth diapering and looking into a few other options. Let's do our part in helping save the planet!





No comments:

Post a Comment